At the British bed store, our sleigh beds are designed to provide a classic and timeless look for your bedroom. These beds are inspired by the traditional design of horse-drawn sleighs. Our sleigh beds come in a range of sizes and styles.
Discover the Elegance of Sleigh Beds: Sizing, Mattress Choices, Storage Options, and More
In the realm of high-end bedroom furniture, sleigh beds are a top choice for those seeking a blend of traditional design and modern comfort. Recognised by their distinct curved or scrolled head and footboards, which resemble the shape of an old-fashioned sleigh, these beds offer a unique aesthetic appeal. But what should you know about bed sizing, mattress selection, available storage options, and more? This guide will break down everything you need to make an informed decision.
What Are Sleigh Beds?
Sleigh beds get their name from their distinctive shape: the headboard and footboard are both curved or scrolled, giving the bed a look similar to a classic sleigh. This design is often associated with a sense of opulence, history, and luxurious comfort. Traditionally made of heavy wood and known for their robust design, contemporary versions of sleigh beds are available in various materials like metal, leather and even upholstered designs, accommodating different tastes and styles.
Sleigh Bed Sizing in the UK
Like all beds, sleigh beds come in several standard sizes in the UK. Here's a basic guide:
- Small Single: Measuring 75 cm x 190 cm, these beds are perfect for children's rooms or guest rooms with limited space.
- Single: At 90 cm x 190 cm, single sleigh beds offer a little more space, suitable for older children and teens.
- Small Double (Queen): Dimensions of 120 cm x 190 cm make these beds ideal for single adults or those with compact bedrooms.
- Double: With a size of 135 cm x 190 cm, double sleigh beds provide ample space for couples or individuals who prefer plenty of room.
- King Size: These beds measure 150 cm x 200 cm, offering a more luxurious size for couples or individuals who desire lots of space.
- Super King Size: The largest standard size, at 180 cm x 200 cm, super king sleigh beds are the epitome of luxury and perfect for large master bedrooms.
Choosing the right size requires consideration of your room's size and layout, as the curvy design of sleigh beds can become a focal point in your room.
Choosing Colours and Materials
Choosing the right material for your sleigh bed is crucial to achieving the desired aesthetic and feel in your bedroom. At the British Bed Store, we offer a variety of high-quality materials to choose from:
- Velvet: Known for its rich, plush feel, velvet adds a touch of luxury to your bedroom. It’s an excellent choice for those wanting to elevate the ambiance of their space.
- Linen: For a more relaxed, yet chic vibe, linen is an excellent option. It’s perfect for creating a casual, comfortable setting without compromising elegance.
- Naples: If you’re looking for a sleek, modern feel, Naples fabric, with its smooth touch and subtle sheen, is the perfect choice. It adds a contemporary touch to the classic sleigh bed design.
Choosing the Right Colour for Your Sleigh Bed
The colour of your sleigh bed can significantly influence its overall aesthetic. We offer an array of colours to cater to every style:
- Neutral Shades: For a clean, modern look, opt for neutrals like grey, white, cream, or beige. These colours are versatile and can seamlessly blend into your existing decor.
- Bold Hues: If you're seeking a more dramatic feel, consider rich tones like midnight blue, emerald green, burgundy, or deep teal. These shades can transform your bed into a standout piece in your bedroom.
- Vibrant Colours: Don't shy away from vibrant hues like marigold, sage green, or rich pink. These can add a fun, quirky twist to your room, especially when paired with the right decor.
Remember, the British Bed Store offers swatches of different fabrics and colours to help you choose the best fit for your bedroom. Don’t hesitate to request these to ensure you make an informed decision for your sleigh bed purchase.
Selecting the Perfect Mattress for Your Sleigh Bed
Choosing the right mattress for your sleigh bed is crucial to ensure a good night's sleep and to maintain the longevity and aesthetics of your bed. Here are some factors you should consider when selecting a mattress for your sleigh bed:
The mattress size should match the size of your sleigh bed. Sleigh beds typically come in standard UK sizes - small single, single, small double, double, king, and super king. Make sure to measure your bed accurately and choose a mattress that fits perfectly. A mattress that is too small or too large can not only spoil the look but also affect your comfort and the structural integrity of the bed over time.
There are several types of mattresses available on the market, including memory foam, innerspring, latex, and hybrid models. The choice largely depends on your personal preference. Memory foam mattresses can provide excellent contouring and pressure relief, while innerspring mattresses offer good support and breathability. Latex mattresses are known for their durability and natural cooling properties, and hybrid models combine the best of foam and innerspring designs.
The right firmness level for you would depend on your sleeping position and body weight. Side sleepers generally need a softer mattress to cushion the shoulders and hips, while stomach and back sleepers might benefit from a firmer surface for better spinal alignment. Heavier individuals often require a firmer mattress to prevent excessive sinking.
Sleigh beds come with a unique curvature design that can be accentuated by a mattress of the right depth. While a thinner mattress might undermine the comfort and luxurious appeal of the bed, a very thick mattress can overshadow the sleigh bed's characteristic headboard and footboard. A medium-profile mattress is usually a good fit for most sleigh beds.
Lastly, don't compromise on the quality of the mattress. A good quality mattress will not only ensure a comfortable sleep but also last longer and help to maintain the structure of your sleigh bed. Look for a mattress with good customer reviews, a robust warranty, and a fair trial period.
Remember, the mattress plays a crucial role in the overall comfort and functionality of your sleigh bed. Spend some time understanding your needs and exploring the options available to ensure you make the right choice.
Key Considerations When Buying a Sleigh Bed
When shopping for a sleigh bed, here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Room Style: The style of your bed should complement the overall aesthetic of your room. Sleigh beds, with their distinctive design, can serve as a focal point in both traditional and contemporary room styles.
- Mattress Type: A good mattress is key to getting the best comfort from your sleigh bed. Depending on your preferences, you might opt for a memory foam, innerspring, or hybrid mattress. It's important to remember that the curvature of the sleigh bed design can impact the feel of your mattress, especially at the head and foot of the bed.
- Bed Frame: A quality bed frame ensures the longevity and sturdiness of your sleigh bed. Frames made from solid hardwood are often the most durable and long-lasting. Metal or high-quality engineered wood can also be good alternatives.
- Storage Options: Many contemporary sleigh beds come with built-in storage options. These can be in the form of under-bed drawers or lift-up ottoman storage. This can be a great solution for those needing extra space to keep their bedrooms tidy and clutter-free.
- Headboard and Footboard Design: The characteristic feature of sleigh beds is their curved or scrolled headboard and footboard. These can be ornately carved in traditional designs or more simplistic and modern. Choose a design that complements your room and reflects your personal style.
Can sleigh beds be disassembled?
Yes, most sleigh beds are designed to be disassembled for easy transport or when rearranging your furniture. The disassembly process usually involves removing the side rails that connect the headboard and footboard, and then taking off the slats. However, it's essential to keep track of all hardware and instructions to ensure proper reassembly.
Are sleigh beds comfortable?
Absolutely. Sleigh beds offer not only aesthetic appeal but also a high level of comfort. The design allows for a sturdy and supportive frame, especially when paired with a quality mattress. Depending on the style, some sleigh beds also feature upholstered headboards for additional comfort.
Can I use a box spring with a sleigh bed?
This depends on the specific design of the bed. Some sleigh beds are designed to be used with a box spring to provide extra height and support. In contrast, others come with built-in slats, eliminating the need for a box spring. Always check the bed's specifications before purchasing a box spring.
Can I change the size of my sleigh bed?
The size of a sleigh bed is typically fixed as it's determined by the bed's frame. However, some designs may allow for slight adjustments in the height or the position of the mattress. It's always best to check with the manufacturer or retailer for specific details.
Is there storage available with sleigh beds?
Yes, many modern sleigh beds come with built-in storage options. This could be in the form of drawers underneath the bed or a lift-up mattress base. These designs are perfect for those looking to utilize their bedroom space effectively, offering a convenient solution for storing bedding, clothing, or other items.
Can the headboard on a sleigh bed be changed?
Most sleigh beds have fixed headboards as part of their design. However, some models have removable ones that you can replace to change the look of your bed.
Do sleigh beds require specific mattresses?
Sleigh beds do not require specific mattresses. However, you must ensure the mattress you select is the correct size for the bed frame. Some sleigh beds might be more comfortable with a specific type of mattress, like memory foam or innerspring, but generally, the choice of mattress comes down to personal preference.
How long do sleigh beds last?
The longevity of a sleigh bed depends on the material and the care it receives. High-quality wood or metal sleigh beds can last for many years with proper maintenance. Upholstered sleigh beds may require more care to keep the fabric looking its best but can also have a significant lifespan.
Remember, each sleigh bed is unique, so it's essential to follow care instructions provided by the manufacturer or retailer.
Caring for Your Sleigh Bed: Maintenance and Upkeep Tips
Proper care and maintenance of your sleigh bed will not only ensure its durability and longevity but also maintain its aesthetic appeal. Here is a more detailed guide on how to look after your sleigh bed:
Wood or Metal Frames: Regular dusting is key in maintaining the lustre and beauty of your wooden or metal sleigh bed. Use a soft cloth to dust the frame gently, making sure to reach all the curves and crevices characteristic of sleigh beds. Occasionally, you can dampen the cloth slightly with a mild soap solution to carry out a more thorough cleaning. However, remember not to over-soak the material as this could potentially damage the finish.
Upholstered Sleigh Beds: For fabric or upholstered sleigh beds, regular vacuuming using an upholstery attachment is important to remove any dust, dirt, and potential allergens. For fabric beds, spot cleaning can be done using a mild fabric cleaner or a gentle soap solution, but always do a spot test on a less visible area first to ensure the cleaner does not discolour the fabric.
- Protection from Direct Sunlight and Heat:
Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can cause fading and discoloration to your bed, whether it's the fabric of an upholstered bed or the finish of a wooden or metal one. Try to position your bed away from direct sunlight or use window treatments to limit sun exposure. Similarly, placing your bed near radiators or heat sources can lead to the wood warping or drying out, and fabric materials becoming brittle or discoloured. Always ensure a safe distance between your bed and these heat sources.
- Quick Response to Spills:
Accidents happen, and prompt action is key to minimizing damage. If a spill occurs, quickly blot it out with a clean, dry cloth. Avoid the temptation to rub or scrub as this can spread the spill and potentially lead to piling of the fabric. For stubborn stains on fabric beds, consider seeking professional cleaning services.
- Mattress Care:
It's not just the bed frame that needs care – your mattress does too. To maintain its comfort and prolong its life, make sure to flip and rotate your mattress as per the manufacturer's guidelines. This helps to ensure even wear and tear and prevent sagging.
- Professional Cleaning:
Depending on the use and the specific materials of your sleigh bed, consider professional cleaning every few years. Professional cleaners can provide a deep clean, rejuvenating your bed and tackling any stubborn stains. This is particularly relevant for upholstered or fabric beds.
Maintaining your sleigh bed does not have to be a difficult task. By incorporating these care practices into your routine, you can enjoy the comfort and beauty of your bed for many years to come.
To conclude, sleigh beds, with their distinctive design and luxurious feel, can be a perfect addition to your bedroom. Offering various sizes, materials, and storage options, they provide both style and functionality. By understanding the different aspects involved in selecting a sleigh bed, you can ensure that you choose a bed that not only fits your aesthetic preferences but also meets your practical needs.